10 AM – 4:30 PM
Grounds of the Washington Monument near 17th Street NW and Constitution Avenue (Map)
The National Cherry Blossom Festival is kicking off kite season. The seventh annual Blossom Kite Festival showcases the creativity of kite makers and skill of fliers from across the US and other countries through a variety of competitions and demonstrations, Rokkaku Battles and the Hot Tricks Showdown. Bring your own kites or children can make a kite at an activity station (while supplies last) to fly on the Public Field.
Please note: drones are prohibited at this event.
The rain date is Sunday, April 2, 2017.
Click here to view photos from the 2016 Blossom Kite Festival.
Congratulations to last year’s Kite Competition Winners:
- Flat kites: Krishna Hari, Clarksburg, MD
- Bowed kites: Kaziah Hall, Arlington, VA
- Cellular kites: Phil Broder, Lewisberrry, PA
- Flexible kites: Melissa Marpster, Glen Burnie, MD
- Multi-line: David Ashworth, McLean, VA
- Kite trains: Chuck Holmes, Spartanburg, SC
- Special Recognition: Douglas and Rachel Mack, Lake Orion, MI
- Grand Prize: Chuck Holmes, Spartanburg, SC.
Metro: Smithsonian, Orange/Blue lines. Use Trip Planner.