The National Cherry Blossom Festival, Mr. Kazutoshi Aikawa, Deputy Chief of Mission of The Embassy of Japan, sponsors, and stakeholders gathered on November 16, 2017 for a preview of the 2018 National Cherry Blossom Festival (March 20-April 15). Speakers at the Launch, presented by Guest Services, Inc., announced new and expanded programming that will incorporate elements of art, music, and play.
The Festival also unveiled the 2018 official artwork, which was created by Maggie O’Neill. Maggie is a DC-based artist, designer, and creative entrepreneur best known for her pop impressionistic paintings of iconic Washington, DC landmarks and people. Read more about Maggie here and get a behind-the-studio look at how she created the piece. The one-of-a-kind artwork is an annual collector’s item, and is available for order today!
In addition, The Festival announced the inaugural Petalpalooza, a daylong all-ages celebration taking place at the newly developed District Wharf. The event, formerly known as the Southwest Waterfront Fireworks Festival, will feature larger-than-life elements including multiple music stages, interactive art installations, life-sized games, fireworks, and more.
Plans for new events in 2018 are currently underway, including a cherry blossom augmented reality installation with ARTECHOUSE, an inaugural Tennis Tournament at East Potomac Park, and more.
Head over to our calendar of events to start planning your 2018 National Cherry Blossom Festival experience, and keep checking back for updates.
National Cherry Blossom Festival Signature Events:
- Thursday, March 15: Pink Tie Party fundraiser presented by ANA at the Ronald Reagan Building and International Trade Center (tickets available now!)
- Saturday, March 24: Opening Ceremony at the Warner Theatre
- Saturday, March 31: Blossom Kite Festival on the Washington Monument grounds
- Saturday, April 7: Petalpalooza at The Wharf
- Saturday, April 14: National Cherry Blossom Festival Parade® presented by Events DC
- Saturday, March 24 – Sunday, April 8: Tidal Basin Welcome Area and ANA Performance Stage (dates subject to change)
National Cherry Blossom Festival Premier Events:
- Saturday, March 24: SAAM Cherry Blossom Celebration produced by Smithsonian American Art Museum
- Sunday, April 15: Anacostia River Festival produced by the 11th Street Bridge Park
Photos from the Launch
Photo Credit: Jay Snap | LaDexon Photographie